Wednesday, June 10, 2009

post from natalie

This is not about Religion!!
I wonder if it's because I live in Utah, that every rule my teens choose to disagree with, is turned into some anti church thing.
Mum "No you can not go to that party with the stoner's and drunks!!"
Teen "you hate my friends, just because they are not Mormon "
Mum "actually because it is ILLEGAL"
The fact is, I have struggled with the "Utah Mormon" culture on both ends with young and older kids.
I hear of people who don't let there kids hang out with non-LDS kids but I have found that when you look a little deeper, a protective parent will often choose for there kids to stay around kids with similar behaviors and values where they personally know the parents and siblings, church is just an easy resource to get to know people.
I always let my kids choose there friends but even now am cautious when there excursions take them out of safety range. I have found on the other hand, people who have judged me for BEING a member of the church. Like I must be an uncool, judgmental, party pooper HELLO!!!! That is so my polar opposite.
The thing is we should know our neighbors, ALL of them. Where is a safe place to go if we are locked out, who could help look for our missing cat. Who to call when you see familiar clapped out jeep wrapped around a lamp post at 5am.
Now my boys are older they find all the moral and legal restrictions that are so burdensome, somehow related to religion but the fact is, I was raised in a very fun loving, non religious, home and there were still rules based on Law and principle.
If it's illegal you don't do it,
If it's immoral you don't do it
If it's unethical you don't do it.
So get off blaming all that is terrible in your life on Joseph Smith and know that as a Parent, I Love You, and will continue to give and enforce rules.
Anyone who gives a free ride on rules.... well luckily I'm only accountable for the way I raise my own kids.

1 comment: