Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Those Scouts!

I know I complained about the whole Scout thing a few weeks ago, but I just had to add something. Last Friday, Vaughn and I took 5 boys from our ward (pretty much the whole Scout troop--no, it's not Utah) to the local soup kitchen to serve lunch to the homeless. I watched them all work cheerfully, greet people politely and serve them with more grace and kindness than I ever could have summoned up at their age. Then they all worked hard to clean up and scrub and wipe down everything. All without a single complaint! When I think of most of their peer group and what a different attitude they would have about giving up sleeping, or playing, or TEXTING for a few hours, I am very humbled by these boys. They truly are amazing and so much better than I was at their age! And to top it all off, they were all up at 6:30 the next morning to go back and do some yard work for the property there. I am sure Heavenly Father is pleased with them. I know I am. And overwhelmed at the thought that I have to be the grownup and teach them something. It seems like I always learn more from children than I ever teach them! These guys give me great hope for the future! I am sure you are surrounded by or are raising children just like these! Pats on the back to all moms out there!

2 comments:

  1. Tami, what a heart-warming and uplifting post! Everyone who has dealt with teenagers needs to have an experience or two like that! It helps get you through the rest of the time, doesn't it?! Thanks for the great reminder that there's hope! Hugs to you and your big and little teenagers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I am grateful to view teenage boys in a positive light. When you push aside the fowl noises and random heartbreaking acts of stupidness, you know what I'm talking about, I have seen many young men serve with there whole self and jump when called to do so.
    I see young men with dirty hands and a sense of humor, I am glad I have gotten to share special moments with scouts at my house and to see the love my huband has for his role in training our future leaders and husbands and fathers. Thanks Tami for the post.GO BSA!!!

    ReplyDelete